Conference contribution


A data collection and communication module for telemedicine and mhealth systems


Publication Details
Author(s): Blank P, Kugler P, Schuldhaus D, Eskofier B
Title edited volumes: BODYNETS 2014 - 9th International Conference on Body Area Networks
Publisher: ICST
Publication year: 2014
Conference Proceedings Title: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Body Area Networks
Pages range: 154-158
ISBN: 9781631900471

Event details
Event: ICST (Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering
Event location: London, Great Britain
Start date of the event: 29/09/2014
End date of the event: 01/10/2014

Abstract

Wearable body sensors have become an important basis for today's medical and fitness applications. To assist athletes or to take care of elderly people in everyday life situations, sensor data can be collected and processed to give helpful feedback. However, the data collection process of multiple or different sensor systems still had to be done manually by the user or an expert, which usually takes a lot of time and can lead to errors. This paper presents an embedded data collection and communication module based on an AT90USB microcontroller, which can automatically acquire data from various wired and wireless sensors (e.g. via USB or Bluetooth® ). The obtained data can be cached, preprocessed and transmitted to a specified central server using LAN, Wi-Fi or GMS/GPRS. Through unified expansion slots, additional communication devices and a BeagleBoneTM embedded can be extended to handle many different sensor systems. Moreover, wired sensors can be charged through appropriate circuits. This data collection and communication module operates without any input settings and special knowledge by the user. Five prototypes with different configurations and extension units concerning communication interfaces and computation power have been built up. The evaluation of the transfer reliability with 100%, whereupon 98% of data could be transmitted at once and the remaining 2% with the next attempt, confirms the stability of data transmission.



How to cite
APA: Blank, P., Kugler, P., Schuldhaus, D., & Eskofier, B. (2014). A data collection and communication module for telemedicine and mhealth systems. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Body Area Networks (pp. 154-158). ICST.

MLA: Blank, Peter, et al. "A data collection and communication module for telemedicine and mhealth systems." Proceedings of the ICST (Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, London, Great Britain ICST, 2014. 154-158.

BibTeX: Download
Share link
Last updated on 2017-02-26 at 01:40
PDF downloaded successfully